Sunday, March 2, 2008

March Arrives; I Meet My Fig Tree

When I am liberated by silence,
when I am no longer involved
in the measurement of life, but in the living of it, I can discover a form of prayer in which there is effectively no distraction.

My whole life becomes a prayer.

My whole silence is full of prayer. The world of silence in which I am immersed contributes to my prayer.


Thomas Merton

Dearest Readers:

Welcome to March in Bangalore! Today, my friend Lalita, one of the women who keeps this bustling household going, climbed the fig tree outside my door.
I have long loved this tree; a total of 9 months I have looked at it, and only today, did I discover the hidden delights. Many afternoons we have been sitting together, the leaves growing before my eyes. Content with her leaves alone, I am overwhelmed by the sweet, luscious goodness of her fruit.
Thomas Merton said it, I am experiencing it...life as prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment