Thursday, April 29, 2010

Two Good Tools for Self Care

As I promised my yoga students in Florida, I am posting this little blog to provide a refresher on the Tibetan Rites...and the recipe for my Sunflower Cookies.
Incorporate the rites into your daily routine. Thurmond and I do them daily; they take about 12 minutes for all five. Who doesn't have that much time to devote to their longevity?

Then, to balance out our day, a few homemade cookies do the trip. We especially love a sunflower cookie, from I've Got a Cook in Kalamazoo, a cookbook put out as a fundraiser in Kalamazoo, Michigan in the late 1990s. Enjoy!

Sunflower Cookies
1 cup butter (or 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup applesauce)
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. vanilla or whiskey
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups uncooked oats
3/4 sunflower seeds, raw
1/2 cup wheat germ

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture. Fold in oats, sunflowers seeds and wheat germ.
Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 375 for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment