Sunday, January 23, 2011

Inevitable Inpermanence...thank you!

My first memory of wishing so hard something would not end was the Fourth of July fireworks. The Kiwanis Club of Kalamazoo (Michigan) my hometown, sponsored the show, which to a girl of 6 or a bit older, was as magnificent as this New Year's display over Helsinki.

What I recall so vividly is around the half way point of the show, I began to feel a rising sense in my belly that "The Big K" was going to light up.

The fiery capital letter signified the generous Kalamazoo Kiwanis July 4 Celebration had ended. How I wanted to postpone the Big K.



Here I sit, in Beloved Mother India, awaiting another Big K, of sorts. I just returned from a lovely one hour group meditation at the Aurobindo Ashram...incredibly, next door to the Bangalore flat I am staying in. The gardens are especially beautiful today...green, blooming, fragrant. In about 43 hours, the wheels of British Air flight 0118 will tuck into the belly of the jet I am riding home. Ten plus hours to London, another 7 to the USA. We never know what is next; the song, "When will I see you again?" is rattling through my head.

One of the many advantages of being a grown up (!) is I no longer need to "Postpone the K." I recognize the inevitably of change and impermanence; now...the challenge is to simply enjoy the present moment, every moment.

Walking back home from the Ashram, I saw two older men standing in the courtyard. One had handed something to the other. The recipient was patting his friend's shoulder in gratitude. I understand the desire to to give a Thankful Touch. Please, dear Mother India and all your inhabitants, consider this message my Thankful Touch. To all who have blessed me, cared for me, driven me, cooked for me, cleaned for me, planned for me, worried for me, served me, dressed me, cared for me, prepared for me, gifted me, celebrated with me, shared with me, meditated with me, prayed with me, listened to me, practiced yoga with me, lived with me, housed me, accepted me, forgiven me, befriended me, loved me....I sing out, "thank you," with such love. Especially the Naidus.

No comments:

Post a Comment