Friday, February 22, 2008

I Love You and I Don't Miss You

Last night at Satsang, Manize spoke of being honest when we love. She asked if love means being dependent.

Immediately, the answer within was, “No!” Certainly not.

Love also does not require physical presence. Living half the year on one side of the globe and commuting to the other side for the second half of the year, I know this truth. Shutting my eyes, regardless of where I am, all friends and family show up, for they reside in the heart.

This morning, I woke with this awareness, “I love you and I don’t miss you.” Why? Because we are emotionally complete, when we are together, we love one another’s company and have a grand time of being together. When we are apart, we still love one another. Nothing has changed. To demand physical presence of all whom I love is unrealistic and a sure way to create misery for myself and others.

An old Winnie the Pooh story has a picture of Pooh and Piglet, viewed from behind, walking down a lane. Piglet is reaching up for Pooh’s paw. “Why?” Pooh wonders. “I just want to be sure of you,” says Piglet.

True sureness or certainty comes from loving ourselves so fully, the love of others is a luxury, not a necessity. We love our own company, our own stillness, our own presence.

How is this sense of security possible? Because the experience of our inner self is in truth an experience of the harmony and wholeness of the entire Universe. Sitting alone, we feel the vibration of the entire planet, the pumping of our heart, the pulsing of the tides, the purring cat, the throbbing of the singing bird, the flutter of the butterfly.

“What Buddhists have always known, physicists now confirm,” writes Eckhart Tolle in Stillness Speaks, “there are no isolated things or events. Underneath the surface appearance, all things are interconnected, are part of the totality of the cosmos that has brought about the form that this moment takes.”

How can we miss anyone when we are all interconnected? Only physical presence is lacking. My love comes to you and yours to me on a golden two way beam, streaming to and fro. Only our tiny minds fight this truth.

“The thinking mind is a useful and powerful tool, but it is also very limiting when it takes over life completely, when you don’t realize that it is only a small aspect of the consciousness that you are,” Tolle adds.

I love you and I don’t miss you, because we are One.

Dedicated to my husband, Thurmond, who is always with me, no matter where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment