Friday, January 9, 2009

We Fundraised for Bihar Playing Bingo

"Would you like to play Bingo tonight?" my friend Marion asked. She and husband Clint were driving over in just an hour to a giant Bingo Hall here in New Port Richey, and had room in the car.
"Well, sure," I decided on the spot. "And I'm gonna win and bring the money to India." After all, I leave the end of January for Bangalore, and I always wish I had more money to support needy families. (here are Clint and Marion)
So, with the help of other women at our table, in the crowded room full of hundreds of people, I won three times! Two times I was the sole winner, so I took the $50 pots. The third time I split the winnings with six others, $6.25 each. So, $116 earned in about four hours. I was so excited, I couldn't even focus. Thank you Lisa, Harriet, Marilyn, Marion and the lady behind me. Bless you!
Yes, I will write it again, thank you, Clint and Marion! Families in the state of Bihar made homeless by flooding in September 2008 are going to benefit. My Indian friend Sujata Naidu has opened a coffee shop in Whitefield, Bangalore, with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the Bihar survivors. I will hand the Bingo winnings to Suja in about three weeks.
Did you hear about the horrific Bihar floods? While the US was totally preoccupied last fall with the presidential election and our crashing economy, more than three million Indian families and their villages were washed away.
Would you like to help some Indian families recover? UNICEF is one of the finest organizations working in Bihar, and will use whatever you can contribute most wisely. How about just playing some Bingo?

No comments:

Post a Comment