Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vegetarian Paradise...in Tampa!

Last weekend, I was invited by Ray and Rachel Lakkis of Quality Produce, a great little produce market here in New Port Richey, to visit Tampa, where they buy fruit and veggies. Well, actually, they said, "Yes!" when I asked if I could go with them. Last month, I said I wanted to celebrate my birthday at a giant farmer's market, to see mountains of tomatoes and onions...but we couldn't find such a place. The Lakkises were the answer.


I got up at 3:30 a.m., and at 4 we met at a 7-11, where I left my car. We drove through the predawn morning to Vegetarian Paradise. Look at this Wall of Onions! Fresh foods from all over the world...Peru, Chili (since the earthquake, supplies have dwindled...bridges were knocked out), Washington state and California, beets from my home state in Michigan, and colorful gardens shipped from Mexico. I saw my first purple potato! (Can you see the leaping flames in the top picture? To take off the chill, workers burned old boxes in barrels.)

Amidst the foods, we found some stunning orchids; Ray decided to buy a whole flat, hoping people will buy some for Easter. I did; my magenta beauty sits beside me when I study.

I loved my adventure. We met Mr. and Mrs. Copeland, who run the longest running stand at the market...since the 1920s they've been feeding Florida. And at our feet in the dark, were the kittens...I wondered what veggie scraps kept them going? Even a blue eyed Siamese, in the back of this picture. Now, that is great karma and a grand incarnation...living as a free, wild creature at the fresh food market...among the grapes and melons and green beans. Yum.To see more photos, peek at my Tampa facebook album.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany wrote:

    And at our feet in the dark, were the kittens...I wondered what veggie scraps kept them going? Even a blue eyed Siamese, in the back of this picture.

    As far as what the cats might be eating there and, since unlike you they are probably not vegetarians, it most likely is not the veggie scraps they are after, but what mice as well as other rodents and small critters whom might feast upon what veggies and scraps they are able to come across instead.

    ReplyDelete