Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Loving and Leaving


Forty five of us gathered for the Grand Occasion in Gloucester, Massachusetts this weekend...the 80th birthday of my Aunt Ann Macdonald. Ann is my mother's younger sister, by some 21 months. Here they are at Ann's First Communion (1937?). I asked Ann why she was looking askance at her big sister Kay in this photo.

"I think I was mad she was given money by the relatives, and it wasn't her day!"

We all shared plenty of memories over the 40 some hours, marked by laughter and tears. We toasted Ann, and then, Ali (Elliot's lovely wife)who is five months pregnant, and just beginning her journey of family-making. Throughout the joyous festivities, lurking in the distance, was our collective awareness that the time to say good bye was approaching.

Of course, that is the tailside of the Love Coin...the farewell. I've spent plenty of time with it this summer. Meeting up with my parents and then leaving. Basking in the sunny reunion of Girl Scout troop 249 and then leaving. My dear Bangalore friend Sujata with us for a few days, then leaving.

Selfishly, I only want to flip heads on the Love Coin...I want to stay with those I love, no good byes. But life has taken us on our own journeys, in different directions. When I read this short Rilke poem, it helped take the sting out of my most recent good byes.

This is guilt, if anything is guilt:
not to multiply a loved one's freedom
by all the freedom we can find in ourselves.
We have , in loving, only this one task:
to let each other go. For holding on
is easy for us, nothing we need learn.

Rainer Maria Rilke

1 comment:

  1. It was so wonderful to be a small part of your celebration weekend Bethany!

    I had so much fun with you, Elliot, and your family Saturday afternoon in Gloucester.

    It ended too soon for me too!

    Love, Bette

    ReplyDelete