Friday, May 9, 2008

Leaving the "town of boiled beans!"

Welcomed in Hyderabad in January.


From May 1, 2008, TIME magazine:
In India last week, the high-tech boomtown of Bangalore was wiped from the map. No, it wasn't hit by a nuclear attack or a natural disaster. Instead, the city simply ditched its British colonial--era moniker in favor of Bengalooru, which, in the local Kannada language, means "town of boiled beans." Other big Indian cities have already taken new names--Bombay is now Mumbai and Madras became Chennai. According to Kannada writer and Bengalooru advocate U.R. Ananthamurthy, such moves are a long-overdue reassertion of local identity. "It was the colonizer who changed the name first," he says.
What an honor to be living in Bengalooru during this time of remembering its roots, reclaiming its identity. In a way, that description could also cover my last six months in the city of seven million. I have so enjoyed the sun and the wide open days, which have taken me into the homes of the working poor, the orphaned, the middle class, the extraordinarily fortunate and everyone in between. In all circumstances, I have been treated so kindly, so warmly.

Living on a continent with no blood kin or established support system, I have had that rare opportunity to observe myself, to witness my life unfolding without the benefit of any existing connections or relationships. I relearned that I love my own company, yoga, reading, writing, trees, silence, flowers, sewing, playing with watercolors, colored pencils and glitter, dogs, swimming, meditation, walking, laughing, worshipping, movies, hot tea, fresh fruit, birds, the night sky, incense, kids and happy people.

I also have been well reminded of the joy of serving others, listening to their stories and encouraging healing and wholeness. Yes, this Indian experience has been most universal, as human beings are more similar than different, regardless of country.

Thank you, Bengalooru, Mother India, and dear friends in many cities. I will cherish you and the lessons you taught me, holding this precious time in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment