Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Barack Obama, Abraham Lincoln and Me

My 57th birthday is this Thursday, providing a great link to Barack Obama. In fact, I am happy to announce that there is but one degree of separation between me and Barack!

How so? My birthday is also the birthday of President Obama's hero and guide, Abraham Lincoln. The President and I both have a strong connection to Lincoln, me by birth, the President by choice.

No wonder I feel such a kinship and love for America's 44th President. And his brown eyes remind me of the earnest, hard working, determined gaze of my son. We are definitely connected.

As for how I am celebrating my new year, I will be happily holed up in a 15,000 volume library of yoga research at the Yoga University here in Bangalore. Looking at the campus's most astounding buildings, it almost resembles a birthday cake, huh? It is actually an OM sign.

While I am a yoga teacher, teaching Yoga in the Garden here three mornings a week, I am also and always a student. How delighted I am that some friends arranged for my four day stay at the school. Can you picture me, swallowing these books whole??

1 comment:

  1. I remember the day very well. One ofthe highpoints of my life. ME

    ReplyDelete