Monday, December 8, 2008

How Shall I Spend My Day?

Leaving my Vermont comfort zone in the winter (confession: actually, my Vermont discomfort zone, as the cold just stops me cold) offers me more benefits than the obvious sun, swimming and fresh vegetables.

Away from regular routines, responsibilities and relationships, I begin Florida days with a freshness and freedom: how do I want to spend my time?

What I am discovering, or rediscovering, is that I love going to church. Different churches. I just love worship, praise, prayer. I crave the hope that faith feeds me. I am strengthened by the good words. I haven’t been here a week yet, but I’ve walked to the Unity Church, St. James Catholic Church and the Salvation Army Center. I’ve also attended a Vespers service in the little retirement community where I stay. When I tell you these visits involved 15 miles of walking, I think you will share my delight in reaffirming just how important going to church is for me.

Yesterday’s bulletin at St. James included a beautiful reflection on Advent, which captures the power of church, and particularly Advent, for me. An excerpt:

“We are called to wait for God in a world which fosters instant gratification and waits for nothing. To meet this challenge we must identify what we are waiting for and open our hearts to allow God to do His work within. The main focus in all of the readings this week is metanoia - our call to conversion or change…. Conversion is not a short term commitment but rather a continual process which leads to inner peace, joy, and comfort.”


Deepening into this place of inner joy, peace and comfort, within myself, is a life long journey. For me, such comfort comes by truly getting to know and love and listen to myself….to that still small voice within.

Growing up in a Unitarian home where my father was the minister (he started serving the People’s Church in Kalamazoo, Michigan, when I was 5) it is true that just entering a church makes me feel at home. Beyond the initial familiarity I experience, I also love to be in community with people. Today, at the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, I watched a sweet father seated in front of me straining to catch his son’s eye, who was sitting with his class, many rows away. I also got a kick out of seeing the young mother cleaning up a bottle of something her son had spilled. The old couples who move as one, no longer needing language to communicate, were also beautiful.

Being Advent Season, which culminates in Christmas, it is especially nice to hear the music. This weekend, I’ve been invited to the Salvation Army Cantata, complete with chorus and brass band.

I’m helping with a church dinner on Wednesday night, because I truly relish time in church kitchens! (As a girl, I would go to church with my father on days other than Sunday and hope a bakery bag of leftover cookies just might be in the fridge.)

At the Unity Church, I selected a name of a resident who lives at the Assisted Living Center across the street from the Church. As her Secret Santa, I will bring some presents next Sunday. Church gives me a great context for service, and ultimately, being of service is where I find my greatest joy.

On the fourth Sunday of Advent, I’ve been invited to speak at the Park's Vespers service, and I will also enjoy preparing for this opportunity.

No, I haven’t been to any department stores or sales. I’ve been to the library twice, read one book and have started three more. Tomorrow morning, everyone on my street is going to breakfast together…so I will enter a restaurant. But, truth be told, being able to do whatever I want, I most likely will be found sitting in the sun or in a church.

From the Unity Advent booklet, Living in the Presence: The Promise of Christmas 2008:Thank you, God, for Your light within me. I let it shine now and in the days ahead as a light of faith, knowing that goodness and love are filling my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment